Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thursday is the BIG day!

No chemo tomorrow (thank GOD!) but we have lots of tests at the hospital that should confirm our positive progress.  I of course am most excited to hear the word "OPERABLE".  Oh, I know I still have months of chemo left, but just having that piece of mind for a smooth surgery ahead in December will just make me feel better on the inside.  I know perhaps too optimistic but it's OK..........we are doing great no matter what.

As usual, week #2 of chemo completely kicked my ass............this time the new side affect of Freddie Kruger mouth and throat was just a bit too much for me. Today is day #3 on some new meds that are just starting to work.  I'm red as a beet so put myself back on the steroids to handle that so hopefully will look human for work tomorrow.  I stayed in bed most the day today............lot of nausea and tummy troubles.  I have not eaten much in the past three days (-10 lbs), but today got some solid foods in me, just enough to make me sick.  LOL  Although it didn't feel good, taste good, or look good...........at least I got a little nutrition.  Much needed nutrition.

I stopped my Emerald Smoothie.  They make a lean out drink there with banana and peanut butter with protein that just might be my salvation on this food journey.  The cold feels great on my throat and I can actually get some of it down.  Pat (the owner there in Federal Way) was also gracious enough to give me a can of energy drink that is for chemo patients.  I'm not an energy drink gal but will give it a whirl when I feel better and see if it helps me in any way.  He wanted me to keep him posted.............but what a nice guy just wanting to help me.  I am sure he could clearly see I was having a horrible day.  LOL  Anyway, I just met him today and was deeply touched by  his generosity.

Speaking of generosity..........I just have to thank Mandy and all the staff at MeMeandcompany for all their love and support in helping me get through the hard physical affects.  Everyone is donating and helping me in every way that they can................like little angels flying around the salon.  Anxious to move my nail service there and convert to the new shalak everyone is hyped about!  That will be next month!!  No more gels for me!

I'm enjoying the peace and quiet in the house...............nobody or anything to constantly be cleaning up after. LOL  The cleanliness cleans my mind.........funny how that works. LOL  My neighbors even brought my garage cans up for me yesterday...................how sweet is that???

I'm telling you, I run into an angel everywhere I go..................I feel so blessed.  Oh, I'm frustrated missing work and being attached to the bed, but I guess if your body has to rest, it just collapses on you and says, I'm all done today girl............you ain't goin no where! LOL  and so I listen.

The miracle mouthwash, as gross as it is, is working..........I can tell I have fewer sores now and the mouth is just now starting to heal................still a week left on the meds but at least we have a little improvement.

I wish you all peace and good health tonight.............and all the wonderful things I miss...............tasting, appetite, smiling, laughing, etc.........the list goes on forever but you get my point.
LIVE WITH PASSION
DJ

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    I'm driving over to FW tomorrow to meet my friend Lisa Call. Do you remember her? She is flying in from Salt Lake City for the reunion so we are going to spend some time together this weekend. Tom will drive over for the actual reunion on Friday. But I was wondering if there was anything I could do for you since I was going to be in the area tomorrow? I know you have not been feeling well and I would love to help with anything you need. I will be leaving here (Moses Lake) about 11 am but you can call me any time you want and I will be happy, happy, happy to come see you, bring you anything, take you anywhere, do whatever if you need or want me to. My cell is (509) 361-3631. I sure hope you are feeling better...good thoughts and prayers headed your way!!! See you SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Dawn! I found these tips on a website for "recipes for chemo patients." Hope there might be something in here worth trying. We feel so bad when we read about the suffering you must endure. It's so easy for all of us to tell you to "keep your eye on the prize." Only hope that you know in your heart that every word of encouragement is really just a sign of love from all the people who truly care! You have come a long way already and have much love and many prayers to sustain you through the remainder of your prep. Love to you from all our family, Linda


    • Avoid dishes that are too dry.
    • Avoid dishes that are fried, too fatty or greasy.
    • Serve food at room temperature to help avoid smells that can trigger nausea. Room temperature or tepid food is usually tolerated better than hot or cold food.
    • Stay away from tomatoes and citrus fruits if mouth sores have developed.
    • No alcohol, which dries the mouth.
    • If suffering from diarrhea, avoid milk products, coarse whole grains, most raw fruits and vegetables, spicy foods, caffeine and chocolate; DO INCLUDE low-fiber foods like oatmeal, rice, bananas, mashed potatoes and applesauce.
    • When familiar foods acquire an "odd" or metallic taste, suck on a mint or lemon drop before eating; this can help to perk up a dish's flavor.
    • Another tip that can help: make a mouth rinse by adding 1 teaspoon baking soda to 8 oz. glass of water, mixing to thoroughly combine. Swish the solution in mouth, then spit. Repeat several times during the day to refresh the mouth.
    • On days when chemo treatment scheduled, avoid cooking favorite dishes as chemo can create strong negative associations.

    ReplyDelete