Thursday, August 4, 2011

Attitude

Today officially started Week #1 of my 2nd 9 week lag of chemo.  It went well, started earlier than usual, we had an 8am instead of a 2pm appointment due to not getting scheduled soon enough but it's all good.  Just bummed that I had miss work since our August sales meeting was today :(  Week 1 always goes good, it's week 2 that I fear. LOL

We met a family (mother has lung cancer) today in the elevator/lobby. Today  was her very first day of chemo.  I could tell they were all scared and confused and at that phase where you just don't know much.  I shared as much of my journey with her as I could and gave her my card to call me if she had any questions or just wanted a shoulder to lean on.  I felt bad for them, her cancer has spread to her blood and brain.  STILL, I believe the very first step to fighting cancer is BELIEVING you don't have cancer and pretending like you don't have cancer.  Attitude is the single one most important thing on this journey, and quite honestly, I think ANY journey you are taking.  What you believe on a regular basis unfolds into your life, no matter what it is so, careful of the thoughts you allow in since it's the life you let out.

I'm so blessed with the most amazing support group, starting my Dad and MamaLou.  It's always such a treat getting to share good news with you all!!!  I'm doing great, breaking records, and well on my way to a full recovery.  However, it all started on day 1 with my attitude.  I have chosen to pretend I am healthy and everything else just falls into play accordingly.  I have my days filled with fear, fear of the side affects though, not the outcome.  The outcome is me healthy and happy and 100% cancer free forever!  I don't want this back and am willing to endure the pain now to keep it that way. 

Due to the extreme fatigue that has set in, I am experiencing atrophy in my body from lack of movement.  Sooooooooooooo, this month my focus is on exercising a little each and every day.  Tim also got me started on greensource vitamins which give you energy and I can already tell a world of difference.  He also is taking walks with me (it's romantic to me) I am also starting to take pancreatic enzymes to help along this journey.  Now, that I have the inside figured out, need to get the outside figured out.  This damn skin peeling thing is crazy and I'm anxious to try some new products that were suggested from my support group.  Something out there has got to get this constant peeling under control.  I'm willing to try anything.

I'm drinking a lot more fluids now too since I discovered Gaterade.  Flushing this chemo thru me as quickly as possible can only help with the side affects. 

On facebook today I asked everyone to write down 100 things they have to be grateful for.............I think when you take the time out of your day to really FEEL grateful and focus on gratitude instead of dreams, you just inched your way closer to your dreams!  Again, attitude is everything so have a grateful one at that!

Being on this journey has my eyes wide open to just how fortunate we all are.  Sitting in the chemo lobby and seeing the fear and pain in the eyes of the patients really hits home.  Their world has been turned upside down and the last thing on their mind is their attitude.  Yet, it's still working to lead them on their journey which could be good or bad.  It all starts in the mind, not the body!  What they think determines the action they will take.  Action creates reaction and that my friend is life.

I'm also going to type out a list of positive affirmations to help me keep my fears in check.  I know if I keep saying and talking about week #2 then it is inevitable that week #2 will bring some new bad effect that I will have to deal with.  I think writing down and reading my affirmations daily will keep me focused on the good and my fear will disappear along with any negative side affects.  Seeeeeeeeeeee, we are back to attitude.  I have to BELIEVE that I already have all the affects that I'm going to have, nothing new will come along.  THIS is as bad as it gets for Dawn!  I can handle this one day at a time.

My Dad leaves to go back home to Alabama on Tuesday.  He'll be gone for a month but I still have MamaLou here and looking forward to dates with her!  As much as I miss my mother (daily) and some days more than others, I don't think my mother would have handled this journey well.  I'm glad I have Lou to help feel that motherly void.  She's been AMAZING on this journey and beyond supportive, not only for me, but for my Dad and Tim as well.  She's just a little pistol and I love her to pieces!  There is just a peace of mind knowing I have a Mom down the street if I need ANYTHING.  Plus it's a bonus that she's so talented and creative so she's going to help us make some auction pieces too which will be fun!!!  I love my girl time!!

My motto today is no matter what challenge lays ahead of you, get your mind in the game first, in a winning game!

LIVE WITH PASSION
DJ

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Dawn!

    Has anyone mentioned CeraVe moisturizer to you? Our dermatologist told us that it is truly the only cream out there that goes DEEP below skin surface. (And she has been cited as Seattle's top dermo doc for the past ten years!) Very reasonable; available in most drug stores. Here is a website:

    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=18&gs_id=1y&xhr=t&q=cerave+skin+cream&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1128&bih=880&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11731120714048100168&sa=X&ei=-zo9TsDAI8T_sQLlvbQc&sqi=2&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

    Love and prayers for you! Linda

    ReplyDelete